Within the biobased products
sector, the past month has been very heavy on big policy news. Most significant
among this has been the announcement of the EU’s Europe-wide plastics strategy.
Whilst not consisting in any concrete legislation yet, the strategy will
influence future European policy decisions in favour of a more circular
economy. The central tenet of the strategy is that all plastic packaging in
Europe will be recyclable by 2030. Alongside this, there will be a push to
reduce single-use plastics and microbeads. The implementation of such a
strategy will require an overhaul of the entire plastic economy, shifting the
focus at all stages of design and production to promoting reuse and recycling.
The response has, for
the most part, been........
Other News this Month Includes:
- EU announces plastics strategy
- EUBP welcomes European Plastics Strategy
- Vegware highlights alternative options to "Latte Levy"
Research & Development
- Evonik and Siemens developing electrolysis & fermentation process
- Polyurethanes from broccoli seeds
- Novel process for FDCA from fructose
- Impacts of oxo-degradable plastics
- Extended PEF pilot for Synvina
- BioAmber's succinic acid performs well in animal feed
- First bio-isobutene bottles unveiled
- Aquafil and Genomatica to produce biobased nylon ingredient
- Process for producing Acrylonitrile from sugar
- Anellotech receives investment for biobased aromatics
- Developing a sustainable denim dyeing process
- Clariant and Global Bioenergies release cosmetics polymer