To access our News Reviews, subscribe to our Information Package free of charge here.
Global plastic production is at approximately
400mtpa and increasing, with this growth expected to continue beyond 2050.
Plastic production is currently responsible for over 4.5% of global greenhouse
gas emissions with emissions modelled to increase as production growth
continues. Plastics produced from biological material provide an opportunity to
mitigate some of the emissions from plastic production however it is vital to
assess the full lifecycle of all plastic production pathways as emissions are
produced both during production and during end of life processing. It is
essential that bio-based plastics have a lower footprint, not only during
production, but throughout the lifespan of the material.
Global Bio-based plastic production growth has continued during 2022
with European Bioplastics estimating an increase in production capacity from
2mtpa in 2022 to 6mtpa in 2027. The applications for which bio-based plastics
can replace traditional fossil-based plastics has...
Other News this Month Includes:
- UK House of Commons Committee report: The price of
plastic: ending the toll of plastic waste
- EU presents framework on biobased, and decomposable plastics
- Global bioplastics production increases despite challenges
- SilicoLife secures Series A investment of up to €9.8
Research & Development
- BBIA comments on UCL study on compostables breakdown
- Plastic futures and their CO2 emissions
- Arkema launches a new range of bio-based acrylic materials
- CJ Biomaterials and NatureWorks, solidify relationship for
novel biopolymer solutions
- Scale up of Pomacle Commercial Unit
- Microorganisms at BASF
- Natural Material Studio design biobased reusable wrapping
for Calvin Klein
- TIPA continues partnership with Apiece Apart for circular fashion
with compostable packaging